Friday, April 20, 2012

SBSR: Venus Blue “Free Promo!”

Recently, I’ve been downloading and listening to music like crazy from Band Camp.   This is a review of a group of songs by the same band I got from Band Camp- usually it constitutes an EP.   This is a song-by-song review and it is never to exceed six songs.   At the end, I will tell you the “Recommended Downloading Level”, which means whether or not I think you should spend your time downloading these songs.   It’s on a scale from 1 to 5, 5 meaning that you should stop reading my review and download these songs immediately and 1 meaning that if you even think about downloading these songs your computer will be infected with a horrific bad music virus.   Enjoy.
Venus Blue “Free Promo!”
01: “Instrumental” [2:13] -- We start off with an instrumental, as the name suggests, which has a bit of a classic rock vibe to it, like maybe Hendrix is playing guitar.
02: “Living Dead” [7:12] -- This song opens with that bluesy/classic rock guitar riff that’s like something out of ZZ Top or Stevie Ray Vaughn.    Now we get into some muddy vocals that make this sound more like a late 1980’s or early 1990’s hair rock band.   I swear, until the singing began I was going to peg this as classic rock.   Now it sounds a lot like Ugly Kid Joe.
03: “Dawn over Moscow” [4:33] -- A bit of a Black Sabbath opening riff here and we’re back into a slower, start/stop version of the previous track.  
04: “True Story” [3:26] -- Slightly slower and with more of the high pitched metal squeals, but yeah, you get the idea here.
                Sometimes songs are free for a reason.   I wouldn’t say this is necessarily bad, but I would call it slop rock, which is a term I’m finally happy I can use.   I’m sure there is a demographic for this, it’s just not me and hasn’t been since Ugly Kid Joe was relevant. 
Recommended Downloading Level:  1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment