Friday, April 20, 2012

SBSR: Spilling the Beans “Self Pity”

Recently, I’ve been downloading and listening to music like crazy from Band Camp.   This is a review of a group of songs by the same band I got from Band Camp- usually it constitutes an EP.   This is a song-by-song review and it is never to exceed six songs.   At the end, I will tell you the “Recommended Downloading Level”, which means whether or not I think you should spend your time downloading these songs.   It’s on a scale from 1 to 5, 5 meaning that you should stop reading my review and download these songs immediately and 1 meaning that if you even think about downloading these songs your computer will be infected with a horrific bad music virus.   Enjoy.
Spilling the Beans “Self Pity”
01: “Last Night” [3:09] -- An acoustic guitar (possibly a ukulele) accompanies some vocals that come out almost sounding like they’re going to do that Strokes song.   Not quite good enough to be on the Juno soundtrack, but I can hear the Kimya Dawson influence coming out. 
02: “I Love You” [2:55] Okay, we’ve all heard Kimya Dawson.   The Juno soundtrack was quite popular.  Do I really need to be listening to this?   Same idea as the first song, only with a bit more static in the recording and a bit sloppier in the guitar work.    This is closer to Dawson than Antsy Pants.  It sounds like it was recorded outside because I’m pretty sure I hear sirens in the background.  Too much of hearing why she loves me over and over again makes me want to smash her guitar.  Next!
03: “Whatever” [2:12] -- And we start with a microphone fart.   This song has that ska riff going on in an acoustic way, where she’s basically asking someone to come over and take a shower with her.  
04: “Self Pity” [1:45] -- This is the only song I’m not certain has the same title as another, more popular song out there.   It seems like someone should have a song called “Self Pity” as much as someone has already named a song “I Love You”, but yeah, if you haven’t been completely turned off by the first three songs this one will surely do the trick.
                Save your time for Kimya Dawson and pass on this hot mess.  And I hate this download for making me learn the term “indie folk”.
Recommended Downloading Level:  0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment