Friday, April 20, 2012

SBSR: Featherface “It Comes Electric”

Recently, I’ve been downloading and listening to music like crazy from Band Camp.   This is a review of a group of songs by the same band I got from Band Camp- usually it constitutes an EP.   This is a song-by-song review and it is never to exceed six songs.   At the end, I will tell you the “Recommended Downloading Level”, which means whether or not I think you should spend your time downloading these songs.   It’s on a scale from 1 to 5, 5 meaning that you should stop reading my review and download these songs immediately and 1 meaning that if you even think about downloading these songs your computer will be infected with a horrific bad music virus.   Enjoy.
Featherface “It Comes Electric”
01: “Something Shiny” [2:36] -- We open with music and vocals together in a pop rock blend that reminds me of The Beatles but not quite.   As we get closer to the end of the song, the guitars become more of a crunchy rock that you wouldn’t necessarily hear from The Beatles, but this is what this song overall reminds me of—a forgotten Beatles song.
02: “And You’re Lying to Yourself” [0:54] -- This is a nice little piano interlude, such as one would play in an old western movie, to tie the first and third songs together.
03: “A Youthful Offender (The Men We Will Be)” [3:59] -- Here we have a song I can’t quite describe.  It’s somewhat fast paced, but not entirely too fast.   It’s got that indie rock sound with a bit of pop sprinkled in.   The vocals are sometimes very clean and sometimes they sound distorted in some way.   They really like the notion that we were meant to multiply. 
04: “Breach” [2:27] -- A primarily guitar fueled song here, with some nice higher pitched singing in the chorus.   It has that melody and harmony of certain Weezer songs, though I won’t get into specific names, and the vocals definitely sound like something I’ve heard before but just cannot place.
05: “Foxing” [4:17] -- Right off this song reminded me of Bayside but quickly changed as it went into this funky guitar rhythm that now has me thinking of something like RxBandits without the horns.  There is also quite a vocal scale in here that you’ll probably dig.  Actually, if I can say this without being too obscure, what this band most sounds like just hit me.   There was once a band from Long Island called The Stryder.   The released one CD and then their singer left the band and they kind of had a shift in lineup for the second album.   Featherface sounds how the second Stryder album sounded.   Yes, I figured it out.
06: “Thinning the Air Around Them” [5:26] -- We’re opening with a piano here, into a fury of guitars.   It’s getting dark and then it kicks in heavy.   I like this song right off because it seems kind of angry.
                At just under twenty minutes, this is an EP you really need to download.   The name “Featherface” suits them, as they come in as hard and menacing as Leatherface, but yet also with the lightness and gentleness of a feather.
Recommended Downloading Level:  4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment