Friday, April 20, 2012

SBSR: Currents “The King”

Recently, I’ve been downloading and listening to music like crazy from Band Camp.   This is a review of a group of songs by the same band I got from Band Camp- usually it constitutes an EP.   This is a song-by-song review and it is never to exceed six songs.   At the end, I will tell you the “Recommended Downloading Level”, which means whether or not I think you should spend your time downloading these songs.   It’s on a scale from 1 to 5, 5 meaning that you should stop reading my review and download these songs immediately and 1 meaning that if you even think about downloading these songs your computer will be infected with a horrific bad music virus.   Enjoy.
Currents “The King”
01: “All Hail the King” [1:27] --  We open with somewhat powerful bass lines and then turn into heavy guitar chords that make you think this is going to be speed metal and this is just the anthem opening.   Oh, but here are group vocals screaming about us all hailing the king.   Is this the name One King Down?  It’s got that kind of feel to it, but I’m pretty sure these guys are singing about Jesus.
02: “Stand Tall” [2:59] -- Back to the group vocals about the king and then we break down into a mosh pit.    This really reminds me of Pantera… until we get a spoken part about putting out trust in Christ.  Whoa, talk about preachy. 
03: “Fulfillment” [3:32] -- This has a nice opening guitar riff, but if it’s about Jesus I’m changing it.  It’s kind of like Dead to Fall… and here comes the God talk (and again we mention the one king). Next.
04: “Set Free” [3:00] -- Okay, I’m done with this.
05: “Before the Throne” [2:56]
06: “No Other Name” [4:04]
                You have to take any metal/hardcore band from Pantera to Dead to Fall and add in a very vocal Jesus element and that’s what you’ve got here.   Look, I love Jesus but I also love A Perfect Murder.   So if A Perfect Murder started singing about Jesus and it was the entire basis of their band, well I don’t think I’d really listen to them as much.   And I don’t think it’s the fact that this band is singing about Jesus as much as the fact that it is their theme to every single song here.    Why can’t they sing about something else?  I don’t know, but I don’t listen to traditional Jesus jams such as Amy Grant, so I won’t listen to this.   It’s not that I don’t love Jesus- because I do- I just don’t like that this music is going with these words.   And I love metal too; it just doesn’t mix in my opinion.
Recommended Downloading Level:  1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment